Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Thorn Bush



There is a thorn bush, deep in a glade,
Where none have seen it, living or dead;
And over it a gown is spread:
A gown of red, with gilt brocade.

They say the gown is made of blood;
They say the gilt is angels’ hair;
They say its gleam has lingered there,
Undimming, since before the Flood.

But look! A maid approaches now,
Where never mortal came before;
Not dreaming of what lies in store,
She wanders where the woods allow;

And now she stops, and mutely stares,
The red gown filling up her sight –
A thing to fill her with delight
And banish all her earthly cares.

She takes a step, and then two more,
And then her fingers graze the hem,
Which sends a tremor into them
That thrills her to the very core.

The gown fills up, as if with air,
And lifts upon a ghostly breeze;
It hovers there, amid the trees,
Then lowers towards her shining hair;

With fairy slowness, inch by inch,
It covers her from neck to toe,
By what strange power she does not know;
She hears no sound, and feels no pinch;

And when at last the thing is done,
The maid stands all in gold and red –
Resplendent, she, from heel to head,
And glowing like the morning sun.

Then, only then, she hears a voice,
Which seems to come from earth and stone,
And speaks to her as one well-known:
“ ’Tis time, my dear, you made your choice.

“Will you live here, and be my queen,
And rule this forest by my side?
You’d make a most enchanting bride,
And I a bridegroom fond and keen.

“Will you forsake your mortal life,
And live eternally with me?
Your lot on earth is misery;
But say the word, and end all strife.”

And at this last, a man appeared,
As perfect as was ever made,
Making a splendor in the glade –
A splendor she both loved and feared.

“O, fairy man,” the poor maid cried,
“How gladly I would be your wife!
How soon give up my drearful life
And live eternal by your side!

“But I am promised to a man –
A good man, though I love him not –
And since my dam no liar begot,
I’ll marry him, if ever I can.”

These words once said, the spell was broke;
The man was gone, the dress gone too;
The maid was bathed in morning dew;
As if from slumber, she awoke.

The sturdy groom was beaming-glad
The day their marriage vow was blessed,
And never knew – but partly guessed –
How true a wife he truly had.

No comments: