Sunday, September 24, 2017

My Father



I walk in my father’s sunlight;
I stand in my father’s breeze;
I lie in the dappled shadows
Under my father’s trees;

I carry my father’s wisdom,
His love, and his beaming pride;
I live in the world of my father,
Although my father has died.

The dead are not dead to the living;
We feel them and see them smile;
My father was gracious and giving,
And lived for too short a while.

So today I remember my father –
Tomorrow and yesterday, too;
And some nights I dream of my father,
And always am glad when I do.

Too large are my father’s footsteps
For any one foot to fill,
But a thousand are walking with me
Who remember my father still.

I know he can never see me –
The grave is too dark for sight –
But his blood and his heart are in me,
And I live in my father’s light.

No comments: