Thursday, June 18, 2009

Vehicular Mailslaughter



This afternoon I walked up to Smith Street to mail a $7 check to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Over the years, I have been a major financial supporter of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, mostly through the medium of speeding tickets, but in this case, I was making a tax payment. I did a little acting-for-hire in Northampton last summer, and despite the fact that a tax payment had already been deducted (sorry, "withheld") from my paycheck, the Commonwealth apparently felt that I had not quite paid my debt to it. Hence the $7 check.

Anyway, I had reached Smith Street and was waiting to cross the street to the mailbox on the other side when the envelope, which I had tucked under my arm, came loose and wafted into the rain-soaked street, where it was immediately run over.

I waited for the traffic to let up, picked up the envelope, and deposited as planned into the mailbox.

As always, Massachusetts, it was a pleasure doing business with you.

No comments: