Saturday, June 14, 2008

intro, and "Elegy for an Old Self"

Mike Lavoie has encouraged me (at gunpoint) to start a blog. I've put his name in the title, with the (convenient) (and correct) implication that this is all his fault. The requirement is that every Sunday, I post a new piece of "creative" "work" on here, for your perusal and execration. Mike is doing the same thing on his own blog, and for all I know other people are too. After this initial introduction, I'll try to keep the self-deprecation to a minimum, but I make no promises, because I am a weak, spineless, often-malodorous twerp.

This week's offering is below. Enjoy! Feel free to post comments, if you really want people to know how bored you are.


Elegy for an Old Self

I had the bright blind will of a child;
I had the hot pure faith of a saint;
I was all; I was all, or was nothing;
Life was painful, but never faint.

But the bloom of me started to mellow,
And the green of me started to turn,
And I moved from the heat of the footlights
To behind them and watching them burn.

Now I laugh at my old affectations
With the laughter of envy and doubt;
And I know I can live with perspective,
But what am I living without?